Friday, September 14, 2007

Godless Chatter

Tim Stevens, one of the pastors at our church, posted a blog that talked about the difference between kids who use myspace vs. kids who use facebook. Although I don't agree with the findings, it did get me thinking.

I do not like using facebook. I actually like myspace. It's so much prettier. We girls care about that stuff you know! Do people really think of me differently because I have a myspace page? I only use it to keep up w/ friends back in Oregon. Then, I started thinking back over the past few months and the influence of myspace. I had a great girlfriend (one of over 25 years) that got me started on myspace. It had fun at first, but then I made a HUGE mistake several months ago. Apparently I told somebody something that was meant for my eyes only. I know, I know, at 30 years old, I should know better. The truth is, I'm not sure what I told. Maybe it was something so important, that I should have kept it a secret. The friend of 25 years did not contact me and tell me she was upset w/ what I'd done. Her boyfriend told me. I apologized for saying.....whatever it was I said. She just wished me luck in my life and said she harbored no ill will.

Now don't get me wrong. I'm not upset at her for doing what she did. I'm upset with myself for ruining a great 25 year friendship. But, there are always blessings that come from these type of things. I cried, lost sleep and prayed. In the middle of the night I woke up w/ a scipture in my head. I ran downstairs and read it - 2 Timothy 2:16 Avoid godless chatter, because those who indulge in it will become more ungodly. Whoa.

At that point I decided that I would make sure to avoid putting myself in that type of situation ever again, including ridding myself of the myspace world. I'm also working w/ my girls to help them avoid godless chatter at their young ages. I also promised myself that if, or should I say when, it happens to me I will make sure to apply grace or mercy on the situation. Cyra asked me "What's the difference?" Here's the easiest explanation. Grace is - getting something you DON'T deserve. Mercy is - NOT getting what you DO deserve. I deserved to lose the friend. I don't deserve the grace that God has given me. I must pass that on to those who hurt me as well.

No comments: