Wednesday, March 5, 2008

The Christian Bubble

Some of you who live in Granger or follow the sermons posted on gccwired.com might remember this service. Corey Mann got up and filled the stage with bubbles. He talked about how some Christians start only hanging out with other Christians. Some will only shop at Christian owned stores, or Christian run restaurants. Some will only read books by Christian authors or listen to music by Christians bands. When this happens, he says we are trapped in The Christian Bubble.

I have a few friends in OR who used to be great friends, but I feel like we're drifting apart. I finally put my finger on the problem. THEY are in The Christian Bubble. The conversation is about Church, missions, baptisms...which (don't get me wrong)are all wonderful things. Conversations turn negative and are full of gossip when you try and discuss something else or have met a new friend who doesn't attend church or have a different political view (or even just your own). Heaven forbid that you may actually need to talk or vent to a friend about something other than church activities.

Honestly, I don't remember Corey's entire sermon...but it was good. It helped me today (a year later) recognize something in myself. I'm not in the bubble, and that's a good thing.

3 comments:

Wawa said...

That is a really good analogy that explains something that has bothered me at times. It was the reason we didn't send our kids to the school that my inlaws wanted.

Anonymous said...

Amen sister! You weren't talking about me were ya? yeh right!@?#! wait... were you? ;)
No... I know we have had our share of 'inappropriate' conversations through the years! Love ya

Miss Mandy said...

No Heather - not about you. BTW, it perfectly appropriate for married women to discuss...all the stuff we discuss!