Sunday, December 30, 2007

A bakers dozen


Remember that I tend to retain sometimes useless knowledge? And most of you also know that I LOVE to bake. Well, a friend emailed me yesterday and asked what is a baker's dozen and how did it gets it name?

Here goes - A baker's dozen is 13 items instead of twelve. The reason? Long ago when bakers would sell loaves of bread, they were required to meet a specific weight. If they did not, they could be penalized (flogged) and/ or fined. In order to avoid a tiff they started adding an extra loaf, also known as "inbread" or "vantage loaf." This practice started with The Worshipful Company of Bakers, which dates back to at least the reign of Henry II (1154-89). This company is still in business.

They aren't sure when the phrase became common, but that it dates back to at least 1599. I'm glad they have adapted the practice to include doughnuts & cookies. Yes, I know I included a picture of my pecan pie. Bakers may include pies, but I never buy them so you tell me!

There you go - some new information is always fun!

No comments: