Monday, June 16, 2008

An old friend

I have an old friend that I've known since kindergarten. I'd post a pic, but (even though we haven't talked in nearly a year) she'd hunt me down and slice my bowels open. =/

As adults we became REALLY close, like tell each other everything close. EVERYTHING. But we always seemed to argue about something, be unable to resolve it, then split for a year or so. We still came back to each other, but after a long break.

Last year I. TOTALLY. MESSED. UP. It was my fault we argued, my fault we split. I apologized and she called me a few months later and forgave. BUT, we haven't spoken since then.

It seems like when we're together, we both have so many problems we're dealing with. Which (of course) we drag each other into the middle of. Asking for advice that NEITHER of us will EVER take. When we're apart she seems to thrive and so do I.

Do any of you have someone in your life that you'd LOVE to be friends with, but just can't seem to make it work? My hubby calls them "toxic friendships".

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well.....since nobody has left a comment yet.....I can't say that I have any toxic friendships at the moment...(no time 5 kids 1 on the way) BUT, sometimes my family can be toxic....brothers and sisters...especially my Mom! The whole thing you said about giving advice that is pretty much wasted breath happens a lot. I guess we just have to agree to disagree. But that is hard sometimes when I am supposed to be the older and wiser one...HA HA! :)

Miss Mandy said...

YOU HAVE ONE MORE ON THE WAY! Girl....you are one awesome mom! Can't wait to see pics.

Come to think of it, you should start a blog!?!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness....I never feel like an "awesome mom"...I feel a little more crazy than anything! Andrew turned one on the 17th and we found out on the 18th....totally not on purpose but I am actually trying to think positive about the whole thing....I'm not sure I'm ready for a newborn again....OH WELL!:)
I actually tried to do a blog and it was actually kinda hard....none of the layouts looked like either of yours did and I couldn't figure out how to get to yours from my page....so I just deleted the whole thing...PLUS the name I want is used..."rocks in the dryer" is so perfect!

Brad Ruggles said...

Old friendships are hard. There are very, VERY few people in my life that I've been friends with for more than 10 years. That's kinda sad when I think about it but it seems to be the case more often than not. People change, we move, we have kids...it's hard to keep up with people.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I thought I was the only one that had a relationship like that! I wouldn't call it toxic, maybe at least for me, fair weather friend.