Friday, February 15, 2008

The Pencil Project

I have a Girl Scout troop of 12 girls. We are always looking for a way to serve both locally and globally. It is really hard to find something globally for them to do that is low cost and easy enough for 9 year olds to do.

Our main project this year was gathering spa products for young women serving in Iraq. Two of the girls decided to go to local businesses and ended up gathering products from Bath & Bodyworks, CVS, Martin's, & The Body Shop. While they were at The Body Shop, a gentleman overheard their conversation with the store manager. He approached them and said that everyday he does something nice for someone and today was their day! They got to choose some products and he was footing the bill. How awesome for these girls to experience true giving at such a young age!

The girls ended up sending SO much stuff to these 3 female soldiers. They packaged it according to the rules. We double bagged everything in freezer bags. A small amount of high protein snacks were sent. We were even able to send them each a build a bear made by one of the girls. My girls loved this project!

Our next project is with The Pencil Project. They match you up with a school in need. You can choose any country including the U.S. You collect pencils and then mail them to the school you were matched up with. How simple is that? I'm hoping that the girls really get a sense of how fortunate they are. So fortunate, that they should help others with a loving heart.

I can't wait to see what these girls can do. So far Cyra's count is at 42 pencils (hoping for thousands!).

If any of you want to donate pencils, let me know and I'll email you my address. No, I'm not going to post it on my blog...scary.=/

No comments: