Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Blogger Small Group

This week's reading was James 3. Kyle - why did you have to pick the book of James? It's like a slap in the face.

I DID actually read the scripture this week, before today. Thank you very much.

For some reason, little bits & pieces stand out for me when I read scripture. Here's what stood out to me this week.

"When we put bits into the mouths of horses to make them obey us, we can turn the whole animal. Or take ships as an example. Although they are so large and are drive by strongs winds, they are steered by a very small rudder wherevere the pilot wants to go. Likewise the tongue is a small part of the body, but it makes great boasts. Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark. The tongue also is a fire, and is itself set on fire by hell."

I totally get the comparison of horses & boats to the tongue, although I've been(in the past) unable (maybe unwilling) to control it or have it controlled. My loud, abnoxious mouth has gotten me into more trouble than I can truly tell you about. No seriously, I can't tell you. You'd be considered an accessory.

Let me give you some background. I didn't attend church during the 15-25 stage. I partied. A lot. I got into some serious trouble...no, not legal trouble. But, I did get myself into some real trouble in our small town. I was doing some things I shouldn't, then lying about it to ...well...everyone. My parents had no idea what I was doing. My friends (who SHOULDN'T have trusted me) were getting hurt left & right. I KNEW it was hurting them, but couldn't stop. My mouth had gotten me in some trouble, I thought no one could repair.

My friend Kristi (a new friend, already lost all the old ones), invited me to a women's "campout" aka - women's bible thumpin, hand raisin, Jesus praisin weekend. Needless to say I got saved. I actually prayed for salvation w/ Matt Kearney's Mom Shannon. She's an amazing woman w/ a heart for God.

Moments after praying the ABCs (Accept, Believe, Confess) I walk outside the cabin and see an old HS friend. I use the term friend lightly because the friendship ended with her confronting me at my job junior year and me sneaking out the back door. Yeah, bad situation.

She noticed me but walked to her cabin w/ out really acknowledging me. I prayed w/ Kristi and then followed my old friend to her cabin. I broke down when I opened the door. My tongue flew (w/ fire, but not the bad kind) I told her all the things that had been brewing over the past 7 years.

She looked at me and said "I forgive you." Wow - that was it? That was all it took? Telling the truth? Who knew?

I learned at that moment how powerful spoken words are. Actually how powerful unspoken words are as well. This scripture is a reminder for me. Where I used to be. And where I'm headed.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post. I always enjoy reading your small blogger group post because you make them personal. I think we all go through the 15-25 stage like you said (some are later in life I think too) but not everyone will say so.

Great job.

Anonymous said...

Mandy, not that one person is more important in a small group than another, but you are a huge blessing to this group. Your honesty, vunerability, heart...I love it. You bring connection to this group. Your personal stories bring scripture to live.

Thank-you friend.

www.vagabondrunn.wordpress.com

Anonymous said...

vulnerability*

(i hate mispelling words and not realizing it until after i hit PUBLISH)

LindaSue said...

Excellent post - the book of James convicts us all! I "grew up" Christian but didn't become a passionate follower of Jesus until my 5th decade of life - go figure! Good for you - btw - I was laughing at Heather with the question about personal hygiene products - it is funny how we key in on certain attractive assets of someone else.(Heather does have amazing hair!) Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog - you commented on one of my more painful issues - where to draw the line. In earlier years - I mistook being spiritually transparent with spilling everything I knew about myself (and far too often others). Forgiveness is the greatest gift - one that I find hardest to give myself.

Michael said...

words...words... words... you gotta love them, you gotta hate them. If we could only have the ability to hit rewind and redo a conversation or a moment in time then life would be grand...great post as always.

Anonymous said...

Great story. I'm not sure if I would have been able to go and confess to a jilted friend like that. I would probably would have chosen the unspoken path. Something for me to think about. Thank you!

Jenl said...

Your humility and obedience in that situation is inspiring. Thanks for sharing!

love ya girl...