Wednesday, May 14, 2008

You're seriously p.o.'d about cookie awards?

I received a less than tasteful note from a GS mom concerned that her daughter didn't have the same opportunity to recieve a cookie prize for her sales. I responded to the troop as a whole, just in case there were any other P.O.'d parents. Here's the letter I wrote:


I have been approached with a few suggestions on how to maybe ease some hurt feelings when it comes to the cookie prizes being handed out. I wanted to address this in a mass email for any of you that may be concerned about it.

This year, the troop sold 1080 boxes of cookies which equals $648 for our troops activities. Each girl, whether they sold 10 or 100 boxes benefits equally.

The Girl Scout council has been so kind to provide prizes to those girls who reach certain milestones. Girls who sell even just one box will receive a participation patch & certificate. The prize ladder is layed out in the cookie paperwork that is sent home at the beginning of the sale. It clearly defines that the girls' level of participation will be rewarded with specific prizes, as well as the funds to provide activities for the year. It also includes goal setting information to reach those prizes.

I think it's important for members of our troop, girls and parents, to remember that out of 11 girls, we have many different personalities. Some girls sell cookies ONLY for the recognition. Some sell because they understand the correlation of sales & activities or lack thereof. A few sell because they love the friendship that their Scout experience has created. Without cookie sales none of that would exist.

I must also mention that there are no "territories" in cookie selling. Our neighborhood has so many Girl Scouts, that selling here was impossible. Since we have no family nearby, we chose to go to Dad's work, the insurance office, the doctor's office and anywhere we could think of, to sell cookies. Next year we will have nut & cookie sales, so maybe we could all get a jump on our ideal selling locations.

I want all the girls to feel the success of funding their own activities. It's part of the Girl Scout tradition. It provides the girls with a chance to make a business plan and then follow through with said plan. The sale also gives them the chance to be excited for other girls whether they've reached the first prize level or the top prize level. And most of all, pride in completing their own plan and in how they've conducted themselves watching others receive recognition.

My goal as a volunteer leader is this; when the girls are finished with their years as a Scout, they will understand and uphold the Girl Scout law in every aspect of life.

THE GIRL SCOUT LAW

I will do my best to be
honest and fair,
friendly and helpful,
considerate and caring,
courageous and strong, and
responsible for what I say and do.
and to
respect myself and other,
respect authority,
use resources wisely,
make the world a better place, and
be a sister to every Girl Scout.

I appreciate your support while I work with the girls, helping them to learn this important life lesson.

Sincerely,

Miss Mandy


Parents drive me crazy. The End.

3 comments:

Jen (a.k.a. motor mouth) said...

been there done that. remember when I had a serious lack of judgment when nicholas was 5 months old? I decided to be a troop leader without even having a daughter. Since my friend was desperate. Dealing with the parents drove me to insanity.
Good luck the letter looks great.

Unknown said...

Wow,..is this still going on? My daughter is well past the Girl Scout age, but GS was an important part of her growing up years. I can't ever remember the moms acting rediculous as this. Good Luck, Miss Mandy,..it would be an injustice if you didn't continue what your doing and how your doing it!

Miss Mandy said...

Teri - I decided yesterday to not converse w/ her about it anymore. I have a feeling I'm fueling the fire. After sending out that mass email (mind you, nobody knows which parent I'm confronting) a few parents send out a mass email praising me and criticizing THAT parent, even though they don't know who it is.

GS is a great organization that I will still be involved in. It's a great way to get to know my daughter's friends and do have a creative outlet.

Thanks for the comment!